This handbook is intended to answer many of the questions teachers have about the use of the sick leave bank. We have also included an annual report of the bank's activities as well as its operating policies.
ANNUAL REPORT FOR THE 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR:
- 2011-2012 school year was 550.5 days in the bank. The sick leave bank granted to the teachers a total of 22 days.
- 2012-2013 Beginning Balance: 528.5 days. No days were granted out the sick bank during the 2012-13 school year.
- 2013-2014 Beginning Balance: 528.5 days. The certified sick bank granted 78 days to members during the 2013-14 year.
- 2014-2015 Beginning Balance: 450.5 days. The certified sick bank granted 183 days to members during the 2014-15 school year.
- 2015-2016 Beginning Balance: 267.5 days. The certified sick bank granted 35 days to members during the 2015-16 school year.
- November 2015 - 454.5 days
- Membership Assessment 137 days
- New 2015-2016 Members 50 days
- Previous membership balance 267.5 days
- May 2016 (2) grants given 35 days
- 2016-2017 Beginning Balance: 419.5 days and there was only one grant given out of 13 days, for a total of 406.5 days to begin the new school year 2017-2018
HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE SICK LEAVE BANK
- Individual must be a certificated employee, as covered by the Procedural Agreement between the District and the Association.
- Complete the membership application form and contribute at least two days of individual’s accumulated sick leave to the Bank.
- Eligible certificated employees electing to not join during the open enrollment period the employee must wait for the annual enrollment period of the following year to be reconsidered for membership in the bank.
- The committee will determine the number of days necessary to assess members to keep the bank Days assessed shall be in the denomination of one day, and assessments shall be mandatory for each member to retain membership. Members on leave of absence must contribute any assessed days to retain membership.
- Days contributed to the bank will be deducted from the individual’s accumulated sick leave account and shall become the permanent asset of the bank as long as it is in operation.
WHEN CAN I APPLY FOR A GRANT?
To apply for a grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have been absent due to illness or accident for a period equal to your accumulated sick leave and personal leave.
- Must provide proof of illness verified by his/her personal physician and date released to return to work.
- Completion of Family Medical Leave paper work.
CAN I GET MY DAYS BACK IF I DON'T USE THEM?
No. The Sick Leave Bank days you donate will remain in this district.
HOW MANY DAYS CAN I GET FROM THE SICK LEAVE BANK?
Members may be granted a single grant up to 180 days during any two consecutive contract school year periods. This is a rolling two year period.
IF I BELONGED LAST YEAR, DO I NEED TO REJOIN?
No, once you are a member as long as you are employed by this school district. You do not reapply each year.
SICK LEAVE BANK POLICIES
SLB-1 PROCEDURE FOR REQUEST
Teachers requesting grants from the Sick Leave Bank must include the following information with their request:
- Reason for request - illness, accident,
- Beginning date of absences
- Date returning to work
- Number of days requested
- Letter from your doctor stating date you are released to return to work
- In case of unusual circumstances, the doctor's letter should state any complications which may affect the size of the grant from the Sick Leave
- Completion of Family Medical Leave paper
- Request must be received by the Sick Leave Bank at least 10 days before the closing of the pay If sufficient time for processing the request is not given, then the check will be docked the appropriate amount.
If the certificated employee is incapacitated to such an extent that he or she cannot personally apply for a grant, the applicant’s Power of Attorney may apply for the applicant.
SLB-2 INTENT OF SICK LEAVE BANK
The purpose of the Sick Leave Bank is to compensate for absences due to extended illnesses, accident or chronic conditions while under a doctor's care.
SLB-3 MATERNITY LEAVE
Maternity leave will be treated as any other disability.
SLB-4 ELECTIVE SURGERY
From time to time, persons require elective surgery or medical treatment that is necessary, but does not endanger the health and safety of the affected person if the medical treatment is postponed until school is not in session. Therefore, it will be the policy of the Sick Leave Bank Committee to carefully review such requests and if questions arise concerning the urgency of such requests, proof of the immediate need will be required by the Sick Leave Bank Committee.
SLB-5 FUNCTION OF SICK LEAVE BANK COMMITTEE
It should be emphasized that the function of the Sick Leave Bank Committee is four fold to determine:
- That persons requesting sick leave days have complied with the provisions of the sick leave bank policy,
- That the provisions of the sick leave bank are applied consistently,
- That the number of days in the sick leave bank remains at a level commensurate with the projected needs of certified staff members, and
- The committee will evaluate the request and notify the applicant in writing (or email) of the committee’s action, and if the request is approved, the number of days will be indicated in the reply.
SLB-6 ADDITIONAL GRANT
Having received a grant from the bank, an employee shall receive a sick leave bank allowance upon return to work of one (1) day per month for the period remaining in the school year. This one additional day will be given as used and will not accumulate. Additional days in one year may be granted for some conditions depending upon an individual's circumstances.
SLB-7 ASSESSMENT OF ADDITIONAL DAYS
When it is necessary to assess additional days from sick leave bank members, new members, enrolling that school year, are exempt from adding additional days to the sick leave bank.
MAXIMUM DAYS USE PERMITTED
- The maximum number of days that can be granted at any one fiscal year to an individual will be the remaining number of days an employee is scheduled to work under his/her current In no case will the granting of leave days cause an employee to receive more than their annual salary.
- The number of days granted shall not exceed the number of days actually absent.
- In no case shall a certificated employee be granted more than a total of 180 days from the sick leave bank for all illnesses or disabilities during current or subsequent employment with School District #132.
- Bank grants to individuals will not be carried over from one year to the next year.
- Days granted and not used will be returned to the bank.
- Members leaving the district may contribute additional days to the bank.
SLB-8 DISTRICT APPROVED LEAVES
A Sick Leave Bank member who is on a district-approved one year leave of absence shall be reinstated to the sick leave bank upon return to the district in a certified position. No additional deduction of sick leave days will be made to reinstate, unless it was an assessment year and all sick leave bank members were assessed during the one year leave of absence. Then the appropriate assessment will be made to continue membership.
SLB-9 GRANTS FOR FAMILY CONDITIONS
A member of the sick leave bank may request days from the bank when they have used all of their sick leave days and must miss work due to the extended illness, accident, or chronic condition of an immediate family member. [Immediate family-husband, wife, son, daughter, mother or father brother or sister, grandmother or grandfather as well as persons who reside in the teacher's house on a full time basis and whose primary financial support is provided by the family of the teacher. Children for whom legal guardianship has been established are considered to be members of the immediate family.] The request must be accompanied by the Certification of Health Care Provider (Form WH-380), Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. FMLA maintains your position in the district. It is not a guarantee for salary payments. The form may be obtained at the district office. The request must be accompanied by a doctor's letter as to the condition of the family member. A maximum of 50 days, out of the 180 possible days which can be given every two years, may be used for the condition of a family member.
SLB-10 DONATIONS FROM MEMBERS AND NONMEMBERS
At anytime during a school year or upon retirement or leaving the district, a member of the bank or a nonmember may donate their sick leave days to the sick leave bank. Donations of sick leave days cannot be made directly to any individual within the district. Donations (outside of the annual membership drive) from a nonmember, is a donation only and does not make the person a member of the bank. Should a member of the bank or a nonmember wish to donate days to a particular member of the bank and that person does not qualify for sick leave bank days under the regulations of the bank, the donation will not be accepted.
SLB-1I CERTIFIED, CLASSIFIED AND ADMINISRATIVE BANK DONATIONS
No staff may donate sick leave days to the sick leave bank to which they could not belong, i.e., classified cannot donate to certified, certified cannot donate to classified, etc.
SLB-12 SICK LEAVE AND PERSONAL DISCRETIONARY LEAVE DAYS
Before a member will be granted sick leave days from the Sick Leave Bank, all of the person’s sick leave and personal discretionary leave must be used. All paid leave from the district must be expended before the Bank may grant days.
SLB-13 TRANSFERENCE OF SICK LEAVE BANK MEMBERSHIP
Membership in the Administrative, Certified, or Classified sick leave banks cannot be transferred to another sick leave bank. Should an employee change jobs so as they would fall under a different sick leave bank, they must join that sick leave bank as any other new employee.
SLB-14 HALF TIME EMPLOYEES
Employees who only work a half contract (.5 FTE) will have the following considerations:
- Donation to join the Sick Leave Bank will be two full days (often part time employees become full time at a later date).
- If a teacher works half days, the teacher will be eligible for half the total number of days a full time employee would be eligible (90 full days for a two year period, not 180 days).
SICK LEAVE BANK COMMITTEE
For more information or questions, contact the respective building CEA representatives or any member of the Sick Leave Bank Committee.