BOARD REPORT JUNE 10, 2019
Below is a summary of the Caldwell School District Board of Trustees June 10, 2019 meeting intended to provide information about board decisions in a timely manner. It is not the official record. The minutes, which are the official record of the meeting, are finalized the following month after approval by the Board.
The Board approved its agenda.
The Board convened into executive session. It resumed into open session and took no action based on the executive session.
The Board moved the Coaches Salary Proposal from the consent agenda and approved the remaining items:
- Coaches Salary Proposal - Trustees approved the proposal after discussing the background of its development with staff. Trustees also asked about changes to academic requirements for athletes which were increased this spring for the 2019-20 school year.
- Budget Hearing - Trustees accepted the 2019-20 Budget after a review by the Chief Financial Officer April Burton. She shared that budget assumptions include the loss of about 250 students to charter schools which is equivalent to a 10 support units. This support unit reduction impacted projected revenue and expenditures for the 2019-20 school year.
- Policy #3545 - Attorney Amy White joined by telephone to answer questions from trustees about parent involvement in the interviewing of students. Trustees took no action on the item and will discuss the proposed policy again at an upcoming work session.
- Summer Leadership Institute registration - Trustees were asked to confirm with the clerk whether they will be attending this upcoming event.
- Submit a Resolution to ISBA - Trustees discussed developing a resolution around charter schools and ensuring local representation on the governing board and a limitation of the number of charter schools in a community.
The following policies are currently out for review with our committee and/or specific departments as needed.
First Reading -- The Board approved the following policies for first reading:
Second and Final Reading -- The Board approved the following policies for final approval:
- Summer Graduation, Thursday, June 27 @ 6:00 pm, CHS
- Migrant Summer School – July 8-25, Monday – Thursday @ Lewis & Clark Elementary
- Summer Leadership Institute, Wednesday, July 17, 2019, 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, Boise, ID
- Board Retreat July 22, 2019, @ Caldwell Industrial Airport, Hubler Terminal Meeting Room, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm